- PSL 2023 Scenario: How can Karachi and Quetta Qualify for Playoffs? - March 7, 2023
- Bismah Maroof – Pakistan Women’s Most Successful Captain - March 3, 2023
- PSL 8: Match Officials, Commentary Panel and Broadcast Territories announced - February 8, 2023
The West Indies Cricket Team is touring Pakistan for a series of three T20Is and three ODIs across ten days. The ODI series is part of the ongoing ICC World Cup Super League. Here’s the match preview of the PAK vs WI 1st T20I.
Regular West Indies captain Kieron Pollard was ruled out of the series due to the injury that he could not recover on time. Nicholas Pooran was announced as the team’s T20I captain while Shai Hope was announced as the team’s ODI captain.
PAK vs WI 1st T20I: What to expect?
Pakistan will be coming on their excellent T20 World Cup campaign which was shortly followed by a successful 3-0 win over Bangladesh. They will face the West Indies team in six white-ball matches, all will be played in the National Stadium, Karachi.
West Indies meanwhile, did not have a memorable T20 World Cup and now had their three players suffer covid-19. Those three players were Sheldon Cottrell, Roston Chase, and Kyle Mayers. This resulted from them being ruled out of the T20I series.
But despite all of this, the important point is that international cricket is happening in Pakistan, given that cricket in Pakistan was once again questioned after New Zealand pulled out. Even despite the covid-hit, the West Indies are still in Pakistan and all the fans hope that cricket goes without a hitch.
The 1st and 2nd T20I will be played on consecutive days.
PAK vs WI 1st T20I: Match Details
- Date: Dec 14, 2021
- Timing: 6:00 PM PKT
- Venue: National Stadium, Karachi
- Weather: Nice and sunny weather expected.
Conditions / Pitch Report:
A flat wicket is expected at the National Stadium, with teams looking to put on runs first and then defend it.
Head to Head:
Matches: 18 | Pakistan: 12 | West Indies: 03 | Tied/ No Result: 03
Pakistan: W W W L W (Completed matches, most recent first)
West Indies: L L W L L
PAK vs WI 1st T20I: Team News
Pakistan left out their gun players like Shoaib Malik, Imad Wasim, and Hasan Ali from the T20I squad. Despite that, the squad looks very solid, with Babar Azam likely to go with a full-strength team.
1. Babar Azam (C), 2. Mohammad Rizwan (WK), 3. Fakhar Zaman, 4. Haider Ali, 5. Khushdil Shah, 6. Asif Ali, 7. Shadab Khan, 8. Mohammad Nawaz, 9. Haris Rauf, 10. Shaheen Afridi, 11. Shahnawaz Dahani
2. West Indies
West Indies are already missing a lot of their big players. But they are not short of some exciting talent. Shai Hope returns to the T20I side and will likely open the innings, along with Odean Smith and Romario Shepherd slotting in the middle. Dominic Drakes may make his debut.
1. Shai Hope, 2. Brendon King, 3. Nicholas Pooran (C, WK), 4. Daren Bravo, 5. Romario Shepherd, 6. Rovman Powell, 7. Odeon Smith, 8. Dominic Drakes, 9. Akeal Hosein, 10. Hayden Walsh Jnr, 11. Oshane Thomas
PAK vs WI 1st T20I: Players to Watch
1. Babar Azam, Batter (PAK)
Babar Azam is a name that cannot be easily ignored. Had a brilliant T20 World Cup as he was the leading run-scorer. But the following series on slow wickets of Bangladesh, he failed to put on runs. Coming to his home country, Babar will like to get some runs again.
2. Shai Hope, Batter (WI)
Shai Hope is to West Indies what Babar was to Pakistan in his earlier days; a rising star in ODIs who was yet to mark his name in other two formats. A stylish batter, he has more of an anchor role, something that WI missed in the T20 WC. Now playing as the experienced batter, his role at the top will be very crucial for the team.
3. Shahnawaz Dahani, Bowler (PAK)
He started off his career with a fantastic yorker that got his first T20I wicket. He has already shown a lot of promise during the PSL and now he will take the challenge that international cricket has to offer.
4. Oshane Thomas, Bowler (BAN)
West Indies experienced a fast bowler in this series, who averages in the mid-20s but has an economy just above nine. He was the threat that Pakistan suffered a heavy defeat in the 2019 World Cup match, where his 4-fer blown Pakistan to 103.
Stats and Trivia:
- Mohammad Rizwan (1123) and Babar Azam (853) are the highest run-scorers in T20Is in 2021. The next highest run-scorer of PAK is Fakhar Zaman, just under 400.
- PAK and WI have played four T20Is in Karachi, with the hosts winning all four of them
Team of T20 World cup 2021 by Green Team