- Haris Sohail – An Imperfectly Perfect middle batter for Pakistan - June 26, 2022
- Pakistan ODI Cricket: What is the issue with their middle-order? - June 16, 2022
- ICC Rankings Update: Pakistan’s New Positions in All Formats - May 5, 2022
At halfway through the first test match, some expected that Bangladesh will finally win their first match against Pakistan in Test cricket. But they were blown away by some quality fast bowling, leaving the host to yet another loss. With two of their experienced players returning, can BAN level the series? Here’s the match preview between PAK vs BAN 2nd Test.
The batters yet again let down the team, with the top five scoring just 25 runs in the second innings when they were greeted with a fiery fast bowling spell. Apart from that 206 run-stand between Mushfiqur Rahim and Liton Das in the first innings, there was just only one 50+ partnership between the Bangladeshi batters.
Pakistan was also nowhere near excellent with the bat apart from the new opening pair. The duo of Abid Ali and newbie Abdullah Shafique twice put on a hundred-run stand. But the rest of the batting order didn’t pleased. It is something that both sides will be looking to get some runs on.
PAK vs BAN 2nd Test: What to expect?
Both teams and their bowling did well. BAN had a majority to thank Taijul Islam for his excellent bowling in the first innings. For PAK, their fast bowlers made inroads for the team.
Dhaka is expected to have a spinning wicket, which will test the batters even further. What else would we be expecting is the introduction of the rain for the first time in this series. From day 2 onwards, the rain will play a part in the game. Bangladesh spinners already made headlines, Pakistan spinners are yet to turn up (no pun intended) and support their fast bowlers.
As for the World Test Championship, Babar Azam and his men are sitting in second place, behind Sri Lanka. Mominul Haque and his men desperately need to win.
PAK vs BAN 2nd Test: Match Details
- Date: DEC 04 – DEC 08, 2021
- Timing: 9:00 AM PKT
- Venue: Dhaka
- Weather: Rain is expected on Days 2, 3 and 4.
Conditions / Pitch Report:
It is expected to be a spin-friendly wicket and likely going to be a low-scoring game with rain playing its part.
Head to Head:
Matches: 12 | Pakistan: 11 | Bangladesh: 00 | Drawn: 01
Pakistan: W W L W W (Completed matches, most recent first)
Bangladesh: L W L D L
PAK vs BAN 2nd Test: Team News
Chances are that Pakistan will likely be unchanged.
1. Abid Ali, 2. Abdullah Shafiq, 3. Azhar Ali, 4. Babar Azam (c), 5. Fawad Alam, 6. Mohammad Rizwan (wk), 7. Faheem Ashraf, 8. Hasan Ali, 9. Nauman Ali, 10. Sajid Khan, 11. Shaheen Afridi
Shakib Al Hasan was declared fit a few days ago and he may come in for Yasir Ali, who was hit on the head and was replaced by a substitute batter. Along with Shakib, Taskin Ahmed may also return to the XI.
1. Shadman Islam, 2. Mahmudul Hasan Joy, 3. Najmul Hossain Shanto, 4. Mominul Haque (c), 5. Musfiqur Rahim, 6. Shakib Al Hasan, 7. Liton Das (wk), 8. Taijul Islam, 9. Mehidy Hasan Miraz, 10. Abu Jayed, 11. Ebadot Hossain/ Taskin Ahmed
PAK vs BAN 2nd Test: Players to watch
1. Azhar Ali, Batter (PAK)
Despite averaging over 40 in the last two years, Azhar’s lack of consistency feels like he hasn’t scored much in a long time. But in these two years, he scored four 50+ scores. This includes crucial 141* vs England and 51 vs South Africa. Being the senior player, every run of his is important in the team.
2. Shakib Al Hasan, All Rounder (BAN)
Returning from injury, Shakib Al Hasan will strengthen the line-up with both bat and ball. His experience in both departments will help out BAN, in particular with the bat. He is the third-highest run-scorer for the side.
3. Shaheen Afridi, Bowling (PAK)
Shaheen Afridi is having an excellent year, having tied with Ravi Ashwin for most Test wickets in 2021. He has been lethal with the new ball, making batters difficult to cope with it. With one more Test match to go, he will look to touch that 50 mark.
4. Taskin Ahmed, Bowler (BAN)
Not experienced in the Test arena, Taskin can still be a crucial addition in the side. 20 wickets at an average of 53 in the red-ball side, Taskin will look to improve those poor numbers by also looking to lead the inexperienced pace attack.
Stats and Trivia:
- Shakib Al Hasan is just 67 runs away to become the third BAN batter to score 4000 Test runs
- Mohammad Abbas is just 10 wickets away to take 100 Test wickets.