- Explainer: How Does The New Format Of The T20 World Cup 2024 Will Work? - November 24, 2022
- Fawad & Yasir Dropped | Pakistan Test Squad against England 2022 - November 21, 2022
- Men’s T20 World Cup 2022: Team of the Tournament by Green Team - November 15, 2022
In the past month of T20 cricket, we finally move back to the red-ball game. Four teams have already begun their WTC games. Pakistan and Bangladesh join too as both teams play their first Test match in six years. Here is the PAK vs BAN Match Preview of the 1st Test.
By this point, people will remember that there is a World Test Championship going on. The new cycle saw Sri Lanka leading the Points Table followed by India and Pakistan with many teams yet to begin theirs.
Pakistan has played one series, against the West Indies. They drew the series 1-1, gaining 50% of the PCT and are currently third. Bangladesh will start their WTC cycle against the Shaheens.
PAK vs BAN: What to expect?
Team-wise, Babar’s Men has a dominant record over the Tigers. 10 wins across 11 matches. The only time they draw a Test match was back in 2015. Bangladesh is yet to beat Pakistan in the longest format of cricket. It is one thing they will try to achieve after a poor T20I series.
The Tigers also are without injured Tamim Iqbal and Shakib Al Hasan, as well as their recently retired former captain Mahmudullah. A lot of empty spots are available in their squad so they will try and fit newbies in them. Though they will be glad their experienced Mushfiqur Rahim returns.
The series holds a lot for both sides, especially for Pakistan. After this series, Babar and his Men will play Australia at home, something they will be looking forward to. The Men in Green missed out on the WTC final last year with some mixed performance and will now try to target the top spot starting from this series.
PAK vs BAN: Match Details
- Date: Nov 26 – Nov 30, 2021
- Timing: 9:00 AM PKT
- Venue: Chattogram
- Weather: All five days will not see any interruption as it will be mostly sunny.
Conditions / Pitch Report:
Runs will flow on this wicket as it is going to be a bit flatter. The last game that was played on this ground was between the hosts and the West Indies, where the latter chased down 395 to win the game.
Head to Head:
Matches: 11 | Pakistan: 10 | Bangladesh: 00 | Drawn: 01
Pakistan: W L W W W (Completed matches, most recent first)
Bangladesh: W L D L L
PAK vs BAN: Team News
Pakistan announced their 12 men squad on Thursday. Big names such as Mohammad Abbas, Mohammad Nawaz, Sarfaraz Ahmed, Saud Shakeel were left out. Uncapped Abdullah Shafique is among those 12 players and it is likely that it will come down to him and any one of the openers.
1. Abid Ali/ Abdullah Shafiq, 2. Imam ul-Haq, 3. Azhar Ali, 4. Babar Azam (c), 5. Fawad Alam, 6. Mohammad Rizwan (wk), 7. Faheem Ashraf, 8. Hasan Ali, 9. Nauman Ali, 10. Sajid Khan, 11. Shaheen Afridi
Without their experienced duo of Tamim Iqbal and Shakib Al Hasan, there are spots to fill for BAN in their squad. Chances are that Yasir Ali and Mahmudul Hasan Joy will make their debuts.
1. Shadman Islam, 2. Mahmudul Hasan Joy, 3. Najmul Hossain Shanto, 4. Mominul Haque (c), 5. Musfiqur Rahim, 6. Yasir Ali, 7. Liton Das (wk), 8. Taijul Islam, 9. Mehidy Hasan Miraz, 10. Abu Jayed, 11. Ebadot Hossain
PAK vs BAN: Players to watch
1. Fawad Alam, Batter (PAK)
Four centuries in four series since his return, every run Fawad Alam scores makes a Pakistani fan thinks why was he left out for ten years. But the player himself doesn’t question and makes the full use of his hard work, saving his team from low moments to give them a solid total. He averages over 50 since his return.
2. Najmul Hossain Shanto, Batter (BAN)
Two centuries in his last three Test matches, Najmul Hossain Shanto slowly started to show his potential in the longest format. Without the trio of Tamim, Shakib and Mahmudullah, Najmul’s role at number three will be important for his side.
3. Hasan Ali, Bowling All Rounder (PAK)
His white-ball performance may have been slightly under par, but his red-ball cricket is excellent this year. He made his international return in early 2021 against South Africa and has taken 32 wickets across six Test matches. He and Shaheen Afridi, who has taken 37 test wickets this year, have been a phenomenal pair.
4. Taijul Islam, Bowler (BAN)
One of Bangladesh’s most experienced bowlers, left-arm spinner Taijul Islam will play a big role alongside Mehidy Hasan Miraz, a batting all-rounder. These two spinning all-rounders have a big role in not just piling up some handy runs, but also taking those ten wickets. He has over 130 wickets with 15 4+ wickets.
Stats and Trivia:
- Of the 11 games the side has played each other, the only drawn test came in their last series in 2015.
- Mohammad Abbas is just 10 wickets away to take 100 Test wickets. Though he is not part of the 12-men squad of the first Test.