- Haris Sohail – An Imperfectly Perfect middle batter for Pakistan - June 26, 2022
- Pakistan ODI Cricket: What is the issue with their middle-order? - June 16, 2022
- ICC Rankings Update: Pakistan’s New Positions in All Formats - May 5, 2022
Since the T20 World Cup 2021, nothing has gone right for the West Indies. They were eliminated in the first round itself. They lost the Test series in Sri Lanka and now they are on a brink of being whitewashed in T20Is against Pakistan. Can they prevent it? Here’s the match preview of PAK vs WI 3rd T20I.
Twice, Babar’s men had overpowered Pooran’s men in the matches that were played on consecutive days. Although in the 2nd T20I, the visitors had a chance to level the series. But some excellent bowling from the Green Team, especially that one over from Shaheen that saw three wickets fall, set the game for the home side.
The WI team had rough since they arrived in the country. Their regular squad pulled out for personal reasons, covid-hit players, and injury to Kieron Pollard. Nicholas Pooran leads an inexperienced side who hasn’t shown much. It’s a lot for them to ask.
PAK vs WI 3rd T20I: What to expect?
For the hosts, everything has gone in their way since the tournament. They have won 19 T20Is this year, already the most number of wins by any team in T20Is. In fact, Pakistan’s T20I format has been excellent for them. Of the seven series they have played, they won six. They would like to end their fantastic series with yet another win.
For the Windies, it is their last international series in 2021. They have an ODI series up ahead just two days after the conclusion of the T20I series. The ODIs will be part of the WC Super League. A win is what they seek to kick off their momentum before heading there.
The concern has been their inexperienced bowling. Twice, they led the game away from their hands. They gave away fifty-odd in three overs in the first game before giving away 45 in the final three of the second game. If WI really wants to win matches, they have to bowl extremely well against this well-settled PAK batting line-up.
PCB and CWI will hold a meeting to decide the future of the tour after all remaining WI members have been tested again. From our understanding, the final T20I will likely go ahead but the ODIs are in danger.
PAK vs WI 3rd T20I: Match Details
- Date: Dec 16, 2021
- Timing: 6:00 PM PKT
- Venue: National Stadium, Karachi
- Weather: Another sunny weather is expected.
Conditions / Pitch Report:
Just like the first two T20Is, a flat wicket is once again expected for the match.
Head to Head:
Matches: 20 | Pakistan: 14 | West Indies: 03 | Tied/ No Result: 03
Pakistan: W W W W W (Completed matches, most recent first)
West Indies: L L L L W
PAK vs WI 3rd T20I: Team News
Pakistan played the same side on both T20Is. Now expectations are that they would test their bench strength with the players who are unused. Shahnawaz Dahani, Mohammad Hasnain, Usman Qadir may be given a game.
1. Babar Azam (C), 2. Mohammad Rizwan (WK), 3. Fakhar Zaman, 4. Haider Ali, 5. Khushdil Shah, 6. Asif Ali, 7. Shadab Khan, 8. Mohammad Nawaz/ Usman Qadir, 9. Haris Rauf, 10. Shaheen Afridi/ Mohammad Hasnain, 11. Shahnawaz Dahani/ Mohammad Wasim Jnr.
2. West Indies
They have made only one change in the second game, with Hayden Walsh Jnr coming in the side. There’s a chance that Gudakesh Motie may come in.
1. Shai Hope, 2. Brendon King, 3. Nicholas Pooran (C, WK), 4. Daren Bravo, 5. Romario Shepherd, 6. Rovman Powell, 7. Odeon Smith, 8. Dominic Drakes/ Gudakesh Motie, 9. Akeal Hosein, 10. Hayden Walsh Jnr, 11. Oshane Thomas
PAK vs WI 3rd T20I: Players to watch
1. Fakhar Zaman, Batter (PAK)
2021 has been good to Fakhar in T20Is. Fakhar, who had a great run in 2018 in his short format career, saw him failure after failures in the next two years. But this year, he is PAK’s third-highest run-scorer. He scored 403 runs, 32 percent of his career runs in a single year along with three fifties. Though he has been silent this series, you can expect fireworks from him.
2. Nicholas Pooran, Batter (WI)
Another one of WI’s rising cricketers, he also hasn’t made his T20I career flashy as he has in ODIs. But there’s no doubt of the type of cricket he plays. When he explodes, he keeps the bowlers thinking about what needs to be done. Runs from him would require if he wishes to see his side win.
3. Mohammad Wasim Jnr, Bowling All Rounder (PAK)
With the ball, he has already shown the world what he can do. But the world is yet to witness his extraordinary batting skills. He has made everyone impressed with his pace bowling. He had his career-best figures in the previous game with a 4-for.
4. Akeal Hosein, Bowler (WI)
Of all the bowlers in this series, both teams combine, Akeal Hosein has been the standout bowler in this series. Twice, he conceded under 20 by picking a wicket in both games. He was fine throughout the T20 WC when Fabien Allen was ruled out. He would need some assistance from other bowlers to keep Pakistan’s run under.
Stats and Trivia:
- Pakistan’s win over the West Indies in the second T20I was their 19th win in a calendar year.
- Babar Azam and Mohammad Rizwan have scored 1007 runs as opening pair in just 21 innings. It is the second-fastest 1000 runs scored by the opening pair in T20Is. KL Rahul and Rohit Sharma reached it in their 19th innings together.
- Pakistan has won nine of their last 10 T20Is at home.