Celebration Turns to Mourning: 11 Deaths in Stampede at RCB Victory Parade
On June 4, 2025, what began as a jubilant celebration for Royal Challengers Bengaluru’s (RCB) maiden Indian Premier League (IPL) title ended in tragedy. A stampede outside the M. Chinnaswamy Stadium in Bengaluru claimed 11 lives and injured over 50 individuals. The incident occurred as an overwhelming crowd, estimated between 200,000 to 300,000 people, gathered to celebrate RCB’s historic win after 18 years of anticipation.
The parade, announced just hours prior, lacked adequate planning and crowd control measures. Free passes distributed online led to an influx of fans, many without tickets, attempting to force entry into the stadium. The situation escalated around 4:51 PM near Gate No. 7, resulting in a deadly crush.
Also Read: Two Leagues, One Time: PSL 2025 Takes on IPL
Voices of Grief: Players and Officials React
RCB’s stalwart, Virat Kohli, expressed his devastation on social media, stating he was “absolutely gutted” and “at a loss for words” over the incident. The franchise released a statement conveying deep sorrow and pledged support for the victims’ families.
Accountability and Aid: Steps Taken Post-Tragedy
In response to the deaths in stampede, the Karnataka government suspended five senior police officers, including Bengaluru’s Police Commissioner, for lapses in crowd management. An FIR was filed against RCB, the Karnataka State Cricket Association (KSCA), and event organizers for alleged criminal negligence. RCB announced a compensation of ₹10 lakh for each deceased’s family and established the “RCB Cares” fund to support the 47 injured fans. The state government also committed to covering all medical expenses for the injured.
Victims mourned after the stadium stampede
Street food vendor Manoj Kumar mourned the death of his 18-year-old son, killed in the stampede, who he said had stopped from working on his stall so he could study. “I wanted him to go to college,” Kumar told The Indian Express newspaper. “I brought him up with a lot of care. Now, he is gone.”
A grieving mother outside a city mortuary said her 22-year-old engineering student son had also died in the crush. “He was crazy about RCB,” she was quoted, “He died in an RCB shirt. They danced when RCB won and now he is gone. Can RCB give him back to us?”
Authorities had already called off RCB’s proposed open-top bus victory parade through the streets after anticipating vast crowds. But organisers pressed ahead with the welcome ceremony and celebrations inside the stadium. RCB’s social media account posted a video of cheering crowds lining the streets as the players waved back from their team bus on their way to the stadium. The team said they cut short the celebrations “immediately upon being made aware of the situation”.
A Somber Reminder: The Importance of Safety in Celebrations
The deaths in stampede serve as a grim reminder of the paramount importance of safety and meticulous planning in large-scale public events. As investigations continue, the focus remains on ensuring such tragedies are averted in the future, preserving the sanctity of celebratory occasions.